Monday, March 16, 2009

gestational diabetes = worst birthday gift

So today I had to take my 3hour test (since i didn't pass the 1hour test).  After 3 hours I was informed that I did not pass and I have gestational diabetes.  There are a number  of reasons this is disappointing.  

1 - No one likes bad news on their bday!
2 - I've been really trying to stay healthy, I exercise 3 - 4 times
 a week and I've kept my weight gain to a minimum (I've gained a total of 10lbs).  Normal/healthy weight gain would be 14 - 18lbs. I've tried  hard to keep my weight gain to a minimum so that diabetes wouldn't be an issue.
3 - I have to prick my finger 4 times a day for the rest of my pregnancy
4 - I have to chart my blood/sugar levels 4 times a day and report it to my doctor every visit.
5 - Super strict low carb/low sugar diet - isn't eating the fun part of pregnancy?

It's just an overall annoying thing.  The doctor said there is nothing I could have done to prevent it and that it's purely hormonal.  I was destined to get it :oP 
 The first 15 weeks were awful because of the terrible symptoms.  I thought I was in the clear and going to have a great rest of the way...now I'm totally bummed.  On a happy note I got a clear shot of Lily, she's gorgeous :o)

2 comments:

MrsQuinn said...

Bummer! Sorry to hear about that! She is a cutie though!! :) You and Adam are lucky!! :oP.

Unknown said...

hope this week has been better for you, it'll all be worth it in the end! :)