Friday, June 19, 2009

Lily's Here...Finally


Lily made it to the world!!!  She arrived via c-section on 6/17/09 at 1:04 am.  She weighed 7lbs. 8 oz. and was 19 inches long.  I didn't end up having to be induced because my water broke the morning of the induction day at 8:00am.  We went to the hospital and got all set up for what was going to be a long day.  It felt like I labored for 2 hours, but it was actually 16!  It wasn't too bad, and I was comfortable for the most part.  There were two moments that I was really uncomfortable, one was when they had a student nurse try to put in my IV line, OUCH!  and two was AFTER my epidural I had a 10 minute long contraction, they had to come give me EXTRA medicine.  Other than that it was pretty much smooth sailing...until we reached the end.  I had made it to 10 centimeters and I was excited to get the show on the road, but the doctor AND Lily had other plans. Lily hadn't dropped, I was getting a fever, Lily's heart rate was elevating, and she was turned upward....all of this meant c-section.  My doctor humored me and let me push a couple of times, but it was not going to happen.  They wheeled me into the OR and I was crying because as much as I thought I was going to be fine if i needed a c-section, when it came down to it I was really scared.  It was all very quick.  They pulled her out and showed her to me and Adam and I cried instantly.  To see the little miracle that grew inside of me was so emotionally overwhelming I can barely put it into words.  I will always remember the first time I saw Lily.  They cleaned her off and put us cheek to cheek and the 3 of us had just a few moments together before they took her off to get her vitals checked.  I passed out shortly there after and when I woke up they took me to my room where Adam was waiting.  I don't really remember much after that...I figure it's the medicine and lack of sleep.  We're home now though and couldn't be better.  Lily is learning to breastfeed...I am too.  We're starting to get the hang of it.  Anyway, I'll make sure to update when I have a chance to.  Thank you everyone for all of your well wishes, thoughts, and prayers.  We appreciate it all.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

she's amazing!

Anonymous said...

-liz

Nicole Barnes said...

Such a great birth story! Sounds incredible!