Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Wasn't too pumped with today's Dr. visit...

Today was my appointment to see if I was dialated, dropped, or effaced...I was NONE of the above.  I gained a pound, which I guess is good considering I gained 5 last week, so that puts me at 24 total.  I didn't want to go over 25 so hopefully I can only gain one more pound...we'll see.  My blood pressure is still too high, and my fluid retention is still bad.  The doctor checked Lily's heart rate and she's doing well.  He said he wanted to measure her and it looks like she's weighing in at 6lbs. 9oz., that can change in either direction by a pound.  After the entire exam the doctor dropped a bomb on me.   He said because my pregnancy is considered high risk (due to my gestational diabetes), and because of my high blood pressure he wants me to be induced next week.  He knows how strongly against induction I am, but in addition to the health concerns he has he will be out of town the 18th - 21st, so if I do go into labor on my own while he's gone I would have another doctor that I don't know.  He said he'll check me again on Monday, but he really suggests that if I don't go into labor on my own between now and Wed. that I opt for the induction.  I kind of feel like I don't really have a choice because I don't want to risk going into labor while he's gone.  As much as I want to hold Lily and see her in person, I just really had my heart set on her coming into the world on her own terms.  I feel bad forcing her out.  I'm going to try EVERYTHING to go into labor on my own this week, but I just don't know if it will work.  Everyone is super excited, but I'm super nervous.  I guess the bright side is that now I have a time table and I know how many days I have to do all the things that I want to do before she's here.  

My next appointment is Monday and that's when the doctor said I could tell him my decision, but I guess it's already made.  Lily will be here next Wednesday :o)  unless she decides to come sooner.  

No comments: